Chronic stress and anxiety lead to tightening of the chest muscles and short, shallow breathing. This can become a habit that depletes the cells of the body of oxygen.
The simple practice of deep breathing has many health benefits for the body, mind and spirit. Some of these benefits include:
- reducing stress
- releasing endorphins to help relieve headaches, insomnia, back pain and other symptoms of stress
- helping to clear and focus the mind
- strengthening weak abdominal muscles
- decreasing blood pressure
- improving asthma symptoms